Saturday, January 26, 2013

Candy Bibles


 I saw this craft on Pinterest and decided to take a crack at the Roman Catholic version. None of the websites I found had a step-by-step tutorial, so here you go! It’s a little tedious but the results are great! I’m going to be using them to promote a bible study group I run.
                         
Just a few tips and hints:

Stick with the Hershey’s brand “Nuggets” chocolates. You’re going to want to use these for this project because the rounded top of the candies makes them look more like open “pages.” I used the ones with the silver wrapper which is the milk chocolate. The gold wrapper would look even better but that’s the variety with almonds, so if you’re nervous about any nut allergies, stick with the silver since the readable part of the label saying there are almonds in them will be all covered up.

Use mailing labels instead of gluing paper on to the chocolates! This was the biggest time saver compared to the other examples I found on Pinterest and it really looks a lot neater. The 1” x 2 5/8” address labels work PERFECTLY for this. (Avery 5160 or equivalent - I used Staples brand.)

I used 12”x18” pieces of black construction paper but any size will do. I also found some versions that used cardstock but the construction paper worked just fine for me.

Be sure to get 1/8” wide ribbon – any wider will be too big.




Materials Needed:

Hershey’s Nuggets chocolates
Mailing Labels – 1” x 2 5/8” (Avery 5160 or equivalent)
Black construction paper (I used 12”x18” sheets)
Red ribbon, 1/8” thick
Tacky Glue/All Purpose Glue
Tape (just in case)
Ruler
Scissors

Collect the scripture verses you want to use. Since this is a Catholic version, I used the NAB (New American Bible) translation accessed on usccb.org. Here are the verses I used:

He said to them, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature.” Mark 16:15

Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father. Matthew 5:16

Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7

I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

At once He spoke to them, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.” Matthew 14:27

And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age. Matthew 28:20

I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.  John 13:34

Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do. John 13:15

Copy and paste the scripture verses of your choice into the blank labels in Microsoft Word (or whatever program you ordinarily use for this). Set the cell alignment centered (horizontal and vertical). Keep the text to no more than ¾” wide on any line (this is how much room will have for it to fit on the candy). I used Calibri font in 9 point size. Remember to break up the verse between two labels so that there will be text on each “page” of your open Bible. Print out the labels. There are two candies per “Bible” so one sheet of labels will be enough for 15 candy bibles.

Measure your construction paper into 1 ¾” strips. Then measure each rectangle to about 2 3/8” wide. You should get about 5 little rectangles per strip, or 50 rectangles per sheet from a 12”x18” piece of construction paper.





Cut the ribbon into 2 ½” strips. This should be enough for a little piece to stick between the construction paper and the chocolate and run between the open pages with a little overhang. If you cut them a little long, you can always trim when you’re finished.

Wrap the candies with the label. Just place the text over the top of the candy and wrap the ends around the back. 







Now you’re ready to assemble! Glue about a ¼” tip of the ribbon to the top of one of your black paper rectangles so that the rest of the ribbon sticks up.



Spread a little glue onto the back of your chocolates. Stick the chocolates side by side to the center of the paper so that they meet where that little glued down piece of ribbon is. You don’t have to leave any room between them – they should be right up against each other.





Take the ribbon and put a little glue in the center of the side facing you. Bring the ribbon over the two pieces of chocolate and put it right down the middle of the open pages. You might need to shove the ribbon down gently so it sticks. (Use your fingers or a paperclip to press the ribbon down slightly.) If the ribbon keeps popping up, you could curl a little piece of scotch tape and stick it under the ribbon (it won’t be visible) but the glue worked just fine for me.



Let them dry completely. Here's the finished product!




13 comments:

  1. Love it!. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a tutorial. I was frustrated not being able to find any instructions on how to make these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tutorial! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been searching for the right label size. thank you! they turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you for this wonderful step-by-step. Sample worked great...only 249 more to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. .what another great way to share the word of God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. .what another great way to share the word of God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much and for such great instructions! I'm having kids make them here in Ukraine next month for Vacation Bible School. It's a little more tricky using the verses in Ukrainian as I've studied Russian but not Ukrainian. I'm using verses that have to do with tasting and seeing that the Lord is good and that His Word is sweet like honey. I have to import the Hersheys Nuggets though. Thankfully the team coming from the US will bring those for me. I do have labels but decided to just print them on paper so it will take the kids a bit longer to make them. Annette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial and great instructions! I absolutely LOVE the idea of the address labels, great idea! Thank you. Off to make them for a GriefShare class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for an excellent tutorial. Just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for taking the time to put this together and sharing. Very detailed! I agree with others that the address labels are definitely a hit. I can't wait to make these as favours for my daughter's First Holy Communion next month. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't tried this yet but I plan to for my Women's Conference coming up. This is absolutely a divine idea thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Empezaré por mis compañeros de trabajo ,gracias

    ReplyDelete
  13. finding this in 2021....Thank You!! These are so cute! Hoping I can make time in the next two weeks to make them for my women's dicipleship group potluck. Thank you for such detailed instructions. Very much appreciated. God bless.

    ReplyDelete